Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Is the SAT linked with IQ scores?

Whether or not the SAT and IQ tests are linked is a valid question. Moreover, does knowing your score for one of the two necessarily give you the score for the other? Studies have shown that there is a strong correlation between SAT and IQ scores. Now of course there are general trendlines that can be used to convert SAT to IQ score, and vice versa. But I personally doubt the accuracy. For instance, my SAT score of 2300 would convert to an IQ of about 150 (using the table found on: http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/SATIQ.aspx), however when I was 7, I took an IQ test, and scored 130. This might mean that I got smarter bebtween the time I took the IQ and SAT tests. It is still an interesting question.

Then again, one has to consider what the IQ and new SAT really test. The latter tests general high school knowledge in the areas of math, writing, and critical reading, while the former tests logic and especially quickness in solving puzzles.

No comments: